MARTLESHAM HEATH AVIATION SOCIETY - OUR LEGACY
We are here to preserve the heritage and aviation history of Martlesham Heath.
In the year 2000 we opened the Control Tower Museum and at the same time dedicated stained glass windows in the church of St Michael's and All Angels on The Heath.
The windows were funded and donated to the village by Martlesham Heath Aviation Society
On the Barrack Square between the memorial commemorating the story of the British, Commonwealth and Dominions memorial and the memorial to the 356th Fighter Group, is a third memorial.
Martlesham Heath Aviation Society were responsible for raising the funds for the purchase and erection of this monument.
The memorial contains two crests side by side. The crest for the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment and a second crest for Royal Air Force Martlesham Heath.
The inscription reads:-
ROYAL AIR FORCE MARTLESHAM HEATH
1917 - 1963
The home of the Aeroplane experimental station,
Royal Flying corp. Later the Aeroplane and
Armament Experimental Establishment
1924 - 1939
Second World War 1939 - 1945
Fighter base for RAF and USAAF
Post war research included the Blind Landing
Experimental Unit and the Bomb Ballistics Unit
The lower inscription is as follows:-
This monument was erected in 2009 to commemorate
the historic contribution made here to aviation research
and the development and evaluation of British military
and civil aircraft